Fair   50.0F  |  Forecast »
Bookmark and Share Email this page Email Print this page Print Feed Feed




On Friday, April 8th, 2011, 225 people joined the Nebraska Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure®  at their annual “Puttin’ on the Pink: A Party with Promise” cocktail event. The event, held at the Baxter Ford Showroom courtesy of President Mickey Anderson and the Baxter Auto family, featured a silent auction, special Pink Martinis, and catering by Kevin Newlin of Releve’ Passione. The Affiliate utilized the event to recognize a number of supporters, including the induction of the top 26 Race for the Cure® fundraisers as the Pink Honor Roll and three Pink Tie Guys (gentlemen supports of Komen Nebraska): Jeff Funk of Hassel & Funk Photography, Komen Nebraska Board of Directors member Jim Mulhall, and long-time dedicated volunteer Dave Kozol.

Carol Wang of KMTV Action3News and Dave Webber, Baxter Ford spokesperson, shared emcee duties for the evening. The event was chaired by long-time Komen Nebraska Volunteer Beth Groh, with Jim Mulhall representing the board of directors on the committee. Lynette Farhart, Executive Director of the Affiliate, says, “We are so grateful to all of our supporters and sponsors that joined us to celebrate. It is because of them that we are able to award community grants that help the women of Nebraska.  With their support we will continue to make an impact and hopefully help to create a world without breast cancer.”

During the reception, the Komen Nebraska Affiliate announced the 2011 Community Grant recipients, distributing $560,948.10 to organizations serving women and families in the state of Nebraska in their fight against breast cancer.
The organizations and programs receiving funds included:

  • A Time to Heal Foundation - $45,100 - “A Time to Heal for Co-Survivors”
  • Alegent Health Cancer Center - $53,920 - Image Recovery Center Patient Assistance Fund
  • CATCH, Inc. - $48,000 -
  • Community Action Partnership of Mid-Nebraska - $26,188 - Healthy Breast Education and Screening Options for Adult Minority and Low-income Women in Dawson and Buffalo Counties
  • Good Samaritan Hospital Foundation - $29,620 - Breast Health Screening and Testing for Women at High Risk for Breast Cancer
  • Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services - $50,560 - Every Woman Matters
  • Nebraska Medical Center - $34,000 - Life Renewal Center
  • OneWorld Community Health Centers, Inc. - $24,148 - Patient Navigator and Educational Outreach Program
  • OneWorld Community Health Centers, Inc. - $50,000 - Breast Cancer Screening and Treatment Program
  • Saint Elizabeth Foundation - $15,000 - Early Detection in Minority Populations
  • Saint Francis Medical Center - $15,309.10 - The Outreach Risk Awareness Project
  • UNMC - $56,518 - Development of a Community-Based Lay Navigator Program
  • Visiting Nurse Association - $112,585 - Providing Assistance to Breast Cancer Survivors

“Each person I spoke to loved the event and it gave the Affiliate an opportunity to showcase to the public the important grants we fund in Nebraska, not to mention the nearly $300,000 we contributed this year to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Award and Research Grant Program!”, said Kate Sommer, Affiliate Board President.

The Komen Nebraska Affiliate is part of the 120-Affiliate network of Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting to end breast cancer forever. The Affiliates are the face and voice of Komen for the Cure’s global breast cancer movement in communities around the world. Through local events and activities, the Komen Nebraska Affiliate mobilizes and educates thousands of community members while raising funds to support community-based breast cancer programs.

About Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and the Komen Nebraska Affiliate
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The Nebraska Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer and supporting the Komen Promise to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality care for all and energizing science to find the cures. Through events like the Komen Nebraska Race for the Cure, the Nebraska Affiliate has invested nearly $5 million in community breast cancer programs in a 91-county area encompassing all of Nebraska, excluding Thurston and Dakota counties. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stay in Nebraska. The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research. For more information, call (402) 502-2979 or visit www.komennebraska.org.



Add your comment: